What the job is
We are looking for an experienced Web Developer (preferably with WordPress) responsible for translating the UI/UX design wireframes to actual code that will produce the visual elements of the application. We build high performance, fully customized websites for the hospitality industry based on award-winning designs.
- Creation of full WordPress themes
- Maintenance of legacy sites
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Translation of UI/UX wireframes to visual elements
- Integration of the front-end and back-end aspects of the web application
- Participate in scoping and estimation of task timelines and completion
- Regularly contribute to code reviews and new feature development.
- Responsible as part of the development team for maintenance on all existing websites and applications.
Attributes we’re looking for
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science and/or at least 2-3 years of demonstrable professional web development experience (GitHub or other portfolio with examples of projects you’ve worked on is a plus)
- Excellent verbal and/or written communication skills.
- Must be a team player who is willing to jump into any departmental task
- Proficient knowledge of PHP, ideally in a typical WordPress/MySQL environment. Other Object Oriented back-end focused languages will be considered – we’re looking for the right fit above all.
- Proficient with the UNIX command line.
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms (such as mobile vs, desktop), and optimizing output to match the specific platform
- Good understanding of CSS preprocessors Less and Sass
- Data migration, transformation, and scripting
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools. We use Git and you should be able to (at minimum) pull, branch and merge with confidence.
- Familiarity with development build tools like Gulp and NPM
What we offer:
- Competitive salary DOE.
- Commitment to work/life balance to take advantage of the outdoor paradise we live in.
- Full medical, dental and vision insurance eligibility – and lots more! – available immediately upon hiring.
Bonus if you have experience with any/all of the following:
- Proficient in Linux-based web server administration, including provisioning and configuration of Apache/Nginx, MySQL and PHP and their associated modules.
- Experience with React.js
- Experience with Angular.js
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools like Photoshop, ability to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image.
- Are in the Salt Lake City / Park City area.
What You’ll Be Doing Most Days
Tuesdays and Thursdays are maintenance days, when you work on any of the 100+ sites that have already launched. You might need to provide a quote on how long it would take to build out a new Contact Form using Gravity Forms, or troubleshoot why an image in the header isn’t loading even though it’s there in the CMS, or update all the plugins and core for a client site while checking for errors, or figuring out why a client’s 5 year old site is suddenly running very, very slowly. The sites you work on will range from ones built in the last six months using the latest in-house framework, or they might be something a completely different agency built, or it might be a site that’s six years old and barely hanging on.
When you’re working with such a wide range of code bases from a spread of multiple agencies and years, the most important thing is that you can troubleshoot. Yes, you will be using PHP and WordPress filters and hooks, and you absolutely need to know your way around all of that. But there’s no replacing good instincts about where to go to find problems, and how to figure out solutions. If you can do that, we can teach you the rest.
GCommerce is an equal opportunity employer. Located in Park City, UT, minutes from world class ski resorts and outdoor recreation opportunities. Full benefits package included.
Job Type: Full-time
Please submit resumes and cover letters to be considered for this position. Resumes without cover letters that address the following three questions will not be reviewed.
- Are you in Park City, UT 84060?
- Are you authorized to work in the United States?
- You changed themes on a WordPress site and now all you get is the white screen of death. What’s the first thing you do to start troubleshooting?